In the next couple of weeks our Museum we will be having our Under the Sea and Extreme Planet camps where we will be exploring crazy weather phenomenas and learning about the ocean as well as the many plants and animals that call the ocean home! Here’s a simple experiment to help you start thinking about the many wonders of the ocean
You will need:
- A clear container with a lid (can be plastic or glass)
- Blue food coloring
- Some glitter (optional)
- Baby oil or cooking oil
- Small plastic floating toys
To make your own motion ocean just follow these simple steps!
- First, fill half of your container with water
- Then add a few drops of food coloring into the water and add some glitter too if you want!
- Pour in the baby oil/cooking oil until the container is about 3/4 full
- Add your favorite floating plastic toys on top of the oil
- Put the lid on the container
- Shake up your very own motion ocean!
Since water is denser or heavier than the oil it stays at the bottom while the oil stays at the top of the container. Since the two liquids never mix the water pushes the oil around at the surface making it look similar to waves in the ocean. Try creating your own motion ocean and let us know how yours turned out!