Today is St. Patrick’s Day, a day celebrating Ireland and the color green! To celebrate, many people will go to parades or wear the color green. Some places like Chicago might do something extra special, like dye the city’s river green. Look!
Since St. Patrick’s Day is associated with leprechauns, and they like rainbows, here are some cool cupcakes that let you taste a rainbow!
1 box white cake mix and the ingredients needed to make it
Food coloring (gel food coloring works best)
5 cereal-sized bowls
1. Make your cake mix as directed on the box. Divide it equally among the 5 bowls.
2. Carefully make your colors in each bowl.
Red: 18 drops
Orange: 12 yellow drops, 4 red drops
Yellow: 12 drops
Green: 12 drops
Blue: 12 drops
3. Put your baking cups in a cupcake pan. With a spoon, put your first layer of the rainbow. I started with blue. It should be less than a tablespoon, just enough batter to cover the bottom of the cup. When you finish the first layer, keep moving on to the next, and so on. Make sure you cover as much of the previous layer with the new layer as you can. Don’t put too much batter in the baking liners, you only want them to be about 2/3 full.
4. Once you’ve done all 5 layers, bake the cupcakes as directed on the box.
5. Remove the cupcakes when done and let cool. Make sure someone helps you when using the oven. You just made rainbows you can taste! Serve the cupcakes alone, with icing, or with whipped cream.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!